Skip to navigation Skip to content

Verification documents and account changes

We take the security of your money and personal information seriously.

It is important that we verify the identity and address of all of our customers at the outset of our banking relationship, and periodically afterwards, to ensure we hold the correct information and are compliant with the Money Laundering Reporting Regulations (2007) for Financial Institutions. It is also important that we verify any changes to your Hampshire Trust Bank savings account. Carrying out these checks helps us to protect you from financial crime.

In some instances we can complete our checks by means of an electronic search. However, on other occasions we need to ask for some documentation to help us complete our checks. This leaflet sets out the types of documentation we may require in different circumstances. If you aren’t sure what you should send please call us on 020 7862 6222020 7862 6222 and we will be happy to help.

What documents should you send us?

If we ask for information to confirm your identity you should send us one document from List One and one from List Two.

If you change address you will need to tell us in writing and provide one document from List Two showing the details of your new address.

If you change your nominated account you will need to tell us in writing and send us one document from List Three.

If your name changes you will need to tell us in writing and send us one document from List Four.

All documents should either be originals or certified copies with the exception of those in List One for which we recommend that you do not send original documents. We will return any original document to you once we have completed our checks, but you send originals at your own risk.

What Is A Certified Copy?

A certified copy is a clear photocopy of the original document which should be: signed, dated and certified with the wording ‘Certified as a true copy of the original’ by a professional. The certifier should also print their full name and occupation on the document. The list opposite are some of the acceptable professions. We will accept documents certified using the Post Office’s Document Certification Service, but you should be aware that they will charge a fee for this.


Send all certified documents to Freepost RTXE-RYYB-AYZY, Hampshire Trust Bank, Savings, PO Box 74003, London EC2P 2QR.

If you need to contact the Personal Savings team, you can call on 020 7862 6222020 7862 6222 or email us.
9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays

Who can certify documents?

Examples of some of the professions which are acceptable:

  • Accountant
  • Bank/Building Society official
  • Barrister
  • Chairman/Director of a Limited Company (registered at Companies House)
  • Commissioner of oaths
  • Dentist
  • Doctor
  • Financial services intermediary - e.g. IFA Registered stockbroker or insurance broker
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Member, associate or fellow of a professional body
  • Member of Parliament
  • Notary Public
  • Nurse (RGN or RMN)
  • Optician
  • Person with honours (e.g. an OBE or MBE)
  • Pharmacist
  • Police officer
  • Post Office official
  • Solicitor
  • Teacher/Lecturer

List One - Proof of Identity

(the document should clearly show your forename, surname and date of birth)

List Two - Proof of Address

(the document should be addressed to you, showing your surname, forename or initials and full address including the postcode)

List Three - Proof of Nominated Account Changes

List Four - Proof of Change of Name

(to change your name with the bank after getting married, divorced or changing your name by deed poll you will need to send us legal proof of the change supported by one the following documents)

  • Current full passport;
  • Current UK photo-card driving licence;
  • Current UK driving licence (old style);
  • Valid HM Forces identity card bearing the signatory’s photograph;
  • A UK firearms certificate or shotgun licence;
  • An identity card issued by the Electoral Office for Northern Ireland;
  • Biometric national ID card containing a photograph
  • Recent Inland Revenue Tax Notification (not more than 12 months old);
  • State Pension Letter (which quotes your National Insurance Number).

If you do not have one of the above, any two other forms of photo ID which show either your date of birth or residential address will suffice.

  • A utility, rates or telephone (excluding mobile phone) bill less than three months old;
  • A council tax bill issued in the current tax year;
  • An extract from the official register of voters/electors;
  • A current drivers licence (if not being provided for List One);
  • Tax Coding Letter/P60/P45;
  • A bank statement or credit card statement less than three months old;
  • A mortgage statement issued in the current year;
  • Proof of ownership of the residential address;
  • A UK state pension or other Government benefit entitlement document issued in the current year;
  • Local council rent card/book or tenancy agreement.
  • An original voided cheque;
  • An original bank statement/a printed or emailed PDF which is a full copy of the statement (not a screen shot);
  • An original paying-in slip.

Marriage or Civil Partnership

  • Marriage Certificate or Civil Partnership Certificate.

Change of Name

  • Deed Poll/Statutory Declaration (Deed poll will need to be registered using official forms, available from the government website)


Any of the below:
  • Decree Absolute and Birth Certificate;
  • Decree Absolute and Passport;
  • Final Dissolution Order and Birth Certificate;
  • Marriage Certificate when reverting to maiden name/former name where the certificate contains both maiden and married name.

Death of an Account Holder

In the first instance, we will require sight of the Death Certificate or Grant of Probate (original or a certified copy) further documentation will subsequently be requested.

Original or certified copy documents must be provided from this list.

©2015 Hampshire Trust Bank Plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Prudential Regulation Authority and the Financial Conduct Authority. Our FRN number is 204601. We are a company registered in England and Wales, registration number 01311315. Registered office: 55 Bishopsgate, London EC2N 3AS. Hampshire Trust Bank, HTB and Hampshire Trust Bank shutter icon are registered trademarks of Hampshire Trust Bank Plc.